Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Inside Consumer United :: Laura Odenthal

Laura Odenthal currently works full-time as a Consumer United advocate, helping our members in New Jersey save money on their auto insurance. Originally from Long Island, NY, Odenthal graduated from UMass Amherst where she majored in journalism.

Since joining the Consumer United team back in September 2009, Odenthal watched both our staff and membership base grow tremendously and has made many friends in the process. When asked what she has enjoyed most about her time here so far, Odenthal responds: “I enjoy the long lasting friendships I have made at Consumer United and the dynamics of working with creative, young people.”

As for financial advice, Odenthal admits that spending “has always burned a hole in my pocket," but she stresses the importance of saving. “I have learned that it is important to put some money away in my savings for a rainy day or in case of emergency” she adds.

To save more money, Odenthal recommends packing a lunch each day. “The way I have learned to save money is by trying to bring a lunch every day. Its amazing how much money you can save per week just by stocking your fridge with groceries.”

When she's not here making sure our members are getting the best deal on auto insurance, Odenthal tries to stay active and enjoys the outdoors. “In my free time, I enjoy heading to the beach, taking vacations, attending music festivals, hiking, and strolling through the streets Boston” she says.