Monday, August 4, 2008

'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle' on Freecycle.org

Freecycle.org is an easy way to recycle--especially if you're looking for used goods on the cheap.

This free-trading online network keeps things from going to landfills, so it's great for the environment. One man's junk is another man's treasure and you can find sewing machines, knife sets, plants and just about anything useful.

Leah Ingram spent a lot of money and time on gardening at her home. She had lilac bushes, hardy mums and a butterfly bush that grew to "gargantuan proportions." When it was time to move, she was forced to leave her plants behind because the new residents weren't interested in letting her take the plants with her. Ingram was especially upset a month later when she found out the new residents tore all of the plants up and replaced them with grass.

This time around, Ingram decided to place an ad on freecycle. She instantly received an offer for a small lilac bush, day lilies and two bags of compost soil.

What's the catch? "In some instances I've got to go dig the plants out myself. No problem. I've got a good work ethic and a strong desire to avoid spending money when I don't have to. Sure, I'll spend a little on gas getting to these places, but not nearly as much as I would have paid for mature bushes at a local nursery."

Check out Leah Ingram's blog here.

1 comment:

Leah Ingram said...

Thanks for mentioning how I used Freecycle to better my garden and for providing a link to my blog The Lean Green Family (formerly Suddenly Frugal)!

Leah